Wednesday, July 23, 2008

USA Basketball

USA Men's Senior National Team Quote(s) of the Day


...
USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team
July 22, 2008 • Las Vegas, Nevada
Check out today's photo gallery! (coming soon)

Coach KUSA head coach Mike Krzyzewski, Duke University
Guys who play in the NBA and all the games they play, nobody is going to be 100 percent. Are you concerned with any nagging injuries in Beijing?
These guys are never 100 percent. And you know what? Neither are the guys we’re playing against. They’re either in the NBA or they’re playing in the top league in Europe. So I think that equals out. For us to even talk about it I think it shows a little weakness on our part. Although we’re not making any excuses, if we’re always talking about injury or recovering from injury, ‘oh feel sorry for us.’ But that’s the way it is. A lot of people go to work sick and aching.


"It’s an honor to wear the USA across my chest, have a chance to compete for a gold medal, a chance to be in the Olympics. That’s something a lot of people don’t get to do. It’s a great experience for me, it’s a great experience for the rest of the guys, it’s something I’m going to cherish for the rest of my life."

~ Deron Williams


How’s Dwyane Wade looking?
Dwyane has been terrific. The stuff he and Tim Grover have done in coming back shows that he’s made an amazing commitment to being in top-flight shape and getting over his injury. He’s been the most pleasant surprise of our three days because you didn’t know what to expect because he was out the last portion of the season.

You said he might actually be healthier now than he was in 2006:
He wasn’t healthy when he played in ’06, but he can speak to that. But he looks great. It’s interesting you say that because I told the staff that he won an NBA championship in 2006, but he was beat up afterwards. I think he’s better (now). He looks better right now than when we played in the World Championships.

What should the fans expect against Canada on Friday night?
The fans should expect to see us playing real hard. It’s our first time for this entire 12 guys. It’s the first step on a journey, the first of five exhibition games. I haven’t seen Canada yet, but it’s not so much about who you’re playing. It’s about what you’re doing and I know our guys will be excited, really excited to play.

On LeBron James today:
Our focus wasn’t on LeBron today because he wasn’t ready to practice. We’re just cautiously giving him time to come back after his injury. But he’s doing well. He shot afterwards. He’s walking well and I would think that if the gold medal game was tomorrow, he’d play. But we’re not playing the gold medal game or a medal round game right now. We’d rather be cautious right now.

What kind of instructions, if any, have you given the players over any possible off-court issues that might come up in China?
They should speak on it however they want. Our country allows you to say whatever you want to say. The fact is, though, is that we look at the Olympics as sport and not a political forum. But that doesn’t mean our guys don’t have the right to speak about any issue. That’s what makes our country a pretty nice place to live in.

Chris BoshChris Bosh (Toronto Raptors)
Would you be able to live and play overseas?
I think I could. I’ve always wanted to travel the world and experience another culture. That would be pretty interesting. You might want to come home after it. But I’m sure these guys who go over and after they’re done they look back at it and had a lot of fun.

How tough was it not playing last year on the team?
When you sit on the sidelines and watch these guys play, all this talent in the room. First of all you feel like you’re missing out on getting better for your respective team. Then, it seems like a lot of fun. I like playing basketball and everything and to see how these guys hoop every day, push each other, make each other better, it’s great.

On not playing last summer:
I was very excited to come back and be a part of this. I waited my summer. Even thought I wanted to play, I tried to push myself but the doctors said it was wise to sit it out. I talked with Jerry (Colangelo) and coach K and I told them how badly I wanted to play.

We’ve heard about America not having too many big men anymore. What are your thoughts on that?
I don’t know where it’s coming from. If you look at our team we have big guys. If you match our big guys up with the big guys from Greece or Spain or Argentina, I think we match up pretty well.

Kobe Bryant said that he held an Olympic gold medal as a higher honor than an NBA title. Do you feel the same?
I kind of feel the same way. The Olympics have been going on for over a hundred years now so I think a gold medal is a little more prestigious than an NBA championship because it only comes once every four years.

What did you take away from the Olympic Ambassador Program?
A sense of pride that past Olympians have had, how other people see it and how important it is. Not only from a competition standpoint, but it’s the spirit of representing your country. That’s mainly what I got from it and that’s what I heard everyone mostly talk about afterwards.

Brandi Chastain brought her gold medal. Does that give you something to visualize when you’re thinking about your goal this summer?
Yeah. You have to visualize it before you get it. To be able to hold it, see what it looks like, how much it weighs … I wanted to bite it to see if it was real gold (laughs). But I think it’s real important and for her to share that with us is pretty awesome.

Kobe BryantKobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
During the regular season you all are rivals, how do you make the switch to teammates?
It’s easy. There’s always a great deal of respect amongst each other when we face each other. There’s always that undercurrent in the game that we admire each other, respect one another. So when you come here you have the opportunity to learn from each other a little bit. We enjoy each other’s company.

Do you worry about playing time?
No, I’m not worried about it at all. They’re doing a great job, trying to put together the right combination of players and we all take this extremely seriously.

How much fun are you having playing with this group?
It’s fun because we’re all working hard. That’s where the enjoyment comes from, we’re communicating with one another. We understand that there are a lot of improvements to be made and that’s what makes the process more enjoyable, because you have something to strive for, something to work towards. That’s why it’s fun.

With the chemistry and team play you’ve developed, do you think the international teams are a little more fearful of you this summer?
No, I don’t. I think they’re sitting over there and saying ‘when push comes to shove we’re going to play more as a team than they are.’ I don’t think what they’re reading or what they’re seeing (about this team) is going to change their minds one bit.

What’s the difference in your defensive role on this team?
My role is different with this team because you don’t have to score 30-something points. You can really focus on the other team’s top scorer and make him have as difficult game as I possibly can.

LeBron JamesLeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Brandi Chastain spoke with the team yesterday and brought one of her gold medals. Did that help you guys visualize your goal a little bit more?
No, but it was more of a congratulations to her. For us, we don’t want to visualize or do anything like that, we just want to go out there and take it. That’s her medal. We want to be in the position where it’s our medal and we can show our gold to her. She has one and we’re going to try to get one. We’re going to do the best job we can to try to get one.

You sat out today, was it just precautionary?
Oh no, it wasn’t precautionary. If I could practice I would. The ankle’s not ready to go out there yet. As hard as we go out on the court, it’s not ready for it.

The other day Kobe Bryant said his ultimate goal in basketball would be a gold medal. Would you agree with that?
Right now, the only thing I can think about is a gold medal. It’s hard to assess. I think it’s equal. It’s the ultimate to be in the NBA and win an NBA championship. But being an Olympian, it’s the ultimate to win a gold medal. I’m both so I think one could be as rewarding as the other. I want them both.

Is it good to play with a group of guys like this?
Absolutely. To have the opportunity to play with these guys you dream about having on your team throughout the regular season. So it’s definitely something great.

Tayshaun PrinceTayshaun Prince (Detroit Pistons)
On the Olympic Ambassador Program the USA team went through on July 22:
I thought it was a great experience to have the opportunity to have them speak to us about the Olympic experience. Obviously Brandi (Chastain, soccer) had the opportunity to win several gold medals. By her bringing one of her gold medals and letting everybody experience it. By seeing it and sharing her thoughts with us, I think it gave us the opportunity to put it in our minds, think about what the possibility would be if we could go out there and take care of business. Then the other speakers, they had the opportunity to talk to us and remind us that the whole world would be watching, go out there and give it your all. You’re representing everybody and they’re pulling for you. Those are nice things to hear when you have the opportunity to represent your country and go overseas and have the USA across your chest and to be able to represent the best you can.

Do you get more of a national feel when you hear from Olympians from other sports?
It represents more of a unity. What I mean by that is that whenever we can bring soccer players, track and field, swimming, whatever it may be, and we interact with one another, it gives us an opportunity to meet them and bring all the athletes together, all the great athletes in the world. It also gives us the chance to represent our country the best way we can in uniting together. Whether it’s Brandi (Chastain) coming, or another person, it gives us the opportunity to interact with one another and share our different experiences.

Are there any other sports you’d like to see at the Olympics?
I would love to see some track and field. That’s one of my favorites to watch, I’m not good at it but I like to watch. I like swimming and diving as well, those things. I think it’ll be a great atmosphere.

Deron WilliamsDeron Williams (Utah Jazz)
On being on the 2008 USA team:
It’s been great. It’s an honor to wear the USA across my chest, have a chance to compete for a gold medal, a chance to be in the Olympics. That’s something a lot of people don’t get to do. It’s a great experience for me, it’s a great experience for the rest of the guys, it’s something I’m going to cherish for the rest of my life.

What was the reaction from everyone yesterday when LeBron James sprained his ankle?
When he went down I don’t think anyone said anything in the gym. I saw the trainers get up and go over to him. He’s alright though, he’s out there shooting right now. So that’s pretty good.

What’s it like having your Jazz teammate Carlos Boozer on this team?
It’s been great. It’s good for us as teammates to have this time to work together and get to know each other even better not just on the court but off the court as well. It’s going to help us a lot.

No comments: